[Mageia-dev] Anybody having high CPU by kded4 after upgrading to 4.6.90?

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 1 19:27:39 CEST 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

> Now, it's tough to determine what exactly is making kded4 to eat the
> CPU. As I'm having a single core, I'm burned. At the same time, minor
> changes that are actually small improvements make me want to stay with
> 4.6.90, not to revert to 4.6.4....

One way to figure that out is to attach gdb to it while it's running and
then print a backtrace. If you do that several times, you may break in the
code that's running a lot. But even if that works it is likely still not
easy to figure out what's going on.

Other ways to get information would be to strace (or ltrace) this daemon
to get an idea what it's trying to do. But CPU usage by the application
itself cannot be seen this way.

An easier way to start is to run iotop and check if kded4 is doing any I/O
related to this cpu usage.

     Christaan