[Mageia-dev] PPA-like repos

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Jul 7 23:29:04 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 07 juillet 2011 à 17:50 -0300, Eugeni Dodonov a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> don't know if it was discussed previously, but I could not find it in the
> archives.
>
> Are there some plans for any kind of ppa-like repos in Mageia/BS? There are
> some cases where they could be useful. One special case which comes to mind
> is wayland packaging - I was discussing with Florian Hubold about it, and
> the trick about them is that:
>  - they require latest xorg stuff from git
>  - they require latest mesa from git
>  - they require latest libxkbcommon from git
>  - they require latest pixman from git
>
> and it is, well, madness to provide such versions in main repositories.
>
> However, it would be a nice case for providing them in some sort of private
> branch (like for example people.mageia.org/<branch>/ or something), using
> the same BS infrastructure (iurt/jurt) to compile them and generate hdlists
> automatically.
>
> I did some custom scripts to do this task, but before reinventing the wheel
> for either mandriva or mageia BS, perhaps there is something already planned
> in this sense...

There is nothing planned yet. ( we do not even have enough servers to
have a shell for packagers or others :/ )

The problem I see with ppa is they lack basic quality control, they
often interfere with upgrade and when they break, people blame the
distribution. There is also non user friendly inter-ppa requires.

So personally, I would rather try to ease the usage of iurt first ( wit
documentation , etc ) and let people host everything them self. Having
this on our servers would mean to most people we endorse the package,
and I think we shouldn't unless we are sure of the quality
( which usually mean "adding rules that people will complain about until
they open 3rd party repository saying how much we are useless because we
couldn't provide 'foo' rpm in a updated optimized version" ).

--
Michael Scherer