[Mageia-dev] PPA-like repos

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Thu Jul 7 23:38:46 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 18:29, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:

> The problem I see with ppa is they lack basic quality control, they
> often interfere with upgrade and when they break, people blame the
> distribution. There is also non user friendly inter-ppa requires.
>
> So personally, I would rather try to ease the usage of iurt first ( wit
> documentation , etc ) and let people host everything them self. Having
> this on our servers would mean to most people we endorse the package,
> and I think we shouldn't unless we are sure of the quality
> ( which usually mean "adding rules that people will complain about until
> they open 3rd party repository saying how much we are useless because we
> couldn't provide 'foo' rpm in a updated optimized version" ).

The only major problem with hosting iurt/jurt/whatever is that it requires
either full repositories locally or very good network connection for
everything, and - in both cases - tons of disk space..

But yes, I got your point, and I agree with it. Perhaps instead of full
'PPAs' it would be possible to have some sort of iurt-powered public
repositories. For example, http://people..../~user dirs with 'upload'
directory there, where someone could put src.rpms and they would be
recompiled and stored in http://people.../~user/{i586,x86_64,arm} when done,
with full hdlists.

But as for QA, yes, this is true. Probably the best solution for it was
Meego's one, in the n800 era - when you install something from non-official
repo it shows a window saying 'You are installing something that could break
everything, so you are on your own, good luck'. For install/update, perhaps
it could be solved by adding some new installer/updater window which would
check of enabled urpmi medias, and if there are any non-official one, it
could show a warning or something like it as well.

--
Eugeni Dodonov
http://eugeni.dodonov.net/