[Mageia-dev] [Mageia 2 specifications] Systemd or not systemd

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Fri Jul 15 01:44:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:37, Balcaen John <mikala at mageia.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 July 2011 20:08:17 Eugeni Dodonov wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > This is how they work now, except that in mageia networkmanager uses
> keyfile
> > plugin instead of networkmanager-mdv (which is a bit outdated at the
> > moment) so the network configuration is different among them.
> Well for cauldron nm-mdv is not available at all because nm 0.9 is quite
> different than 0.8. From a fast look i guess it should not be too difficult
> adapt your patch starting from the fedora/redhat plugin .
> Regarding a total switch to nm, if i'm not wrong the most problematic part
> is
> the installer integration.
> Maybe it's possible to adapt our draktools to edit/drop files directly in
> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ if we're sticking with the native
> plugin (keyfile).

I actually vote for keyfile plugin, because it is most stable and upstream.
NM-mdv would be the best solution if it would be incorporated upstream, but
it still needs lots of work to get there.

One big issue with NM only by default is the installation via boot.iso and
similar methods, and also overall installation via network - while it is
certainly possible to configure networkmanager from the console, it is by no
means easy. This was not the case for Mandriva desktop, but I believe that
it is one nice feature to have in Mageia.

--
Eugeni Dodonov
http://eugeni.dodonov.net/