[Mageia-dev] Adobe Flash player 11 Beta 1 in Cauldron

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:37:49 CEST 2011

On 15 July 2011 11:55, Angelo Naselli <anaselli at linux.it> wrote:
> venerdì 15 luglio 2011 alle 10:10, Ahmad Samir ha scritto:
>> Hello.
>>
>> As you've seen the thread, posted by Charles A Edwards, there's a new
>> version of flash which has native 64bit support, it's still in beta
>> but seems to work well, some questions:
>> - Any objections about offering it in mga1? on x86_64 only and keeping
>> the 32bit stable one as is for now; not having to install
>> nspluginwrapper or a 32bit browser on a 64bit system is an
>> improvement, IMHO.
> I'm in favour with some doubts though.
>
> Some people think mageia is quiet... so maybe we should start to increase
> updates/backports and improving people feelings...

You mean create "hype" with updates? just updating for updating's sake
is not useful, for me at least, unless an update fixes a bug in a
package I am using.

> I say that without using that much mga1, but some days ago updates were
> so little...
>
> The big problem with this package though is that if it is buggy and moreover
> for security reasons, it isn't so upstream responsive, at least for x86_64
> till now...

I don't have hard numbers, but my guess would be that a lot of x86_64
users are already using the 11 beta1..... adding it in the repos is
just a convenience sort of thing (the same with packaging a binary
blob that doesn't need compiling... even more so if the package in
question is a skeleton package that downloads a tarball/rpm from
upstream when the user installs a package).

>> - For Cauldron:
>>   o Do we ship the 11 beta1 for both arch?
> i vote for that, cauldron is cauldron and we can revert or change things
> before freeze time, some months of testing will show us upstream movements
> also...

[....]

--
Ahmad Samir