[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:32:40 CEST 2011

Op maandag 13 juni 2011 18:51:40 schreef Ron:
> I will say my part and I'm gone...
> I don't understand why everyone is acting like a rolling release is going
> to put so much strain on the project. What is so hard about developing in
> one place and allowing the updates to trickle down is so hard? It almost
> seems to me that you want to ask the opinion of people, but don't want to
> hear. And what is this posting here? I don't even know how to use this
> thing and yet I had to signup to get my voice heard because this is the
> way you want to do things? I don't understand where the whole community
> fits into this here right now, I think I actually say a lot when I say
> that many people want a rolling release.... It just seems the developers
> will have the way here... Why ask in the first place? Really? I am leaving
> the list and sorry about the HTML in my emails, must be a yahoo thing
> because I did not use HTML... Again I don't know how to use this thing and
> should not have been forced to. I would also say that I, for 1 will not be
> staying if you are going to do a release cycle only... I have loads of
> options if I just want snapshots of what's going on in the Linux world....
> Arch gives me so much more and I had hopes of switching to this with a
> release model that made sense... But it seems we won't and we will just
> become yet another XXX release cycle distribution with no clear anything
> that sets us apart from X. On you, I'm gone and thanks for hearing me and
> sorry if my postings were done wrong....

complete rolling release would put a QA strain on each of the levels. think
about it, it's not only the current package being updated, but also the
combinations with other packages. (AND also all the long time supported
versions)

This would mean that for each package being release, it'll have to work with
the current set of other packages, but also with the packages you'll be doing
next.

if you have this constant level of QA, you need alot of resources (which we
don't have in QA), and as an extra result, you'll not have the same level of
QA you could have, when you're doing a release.

it's much easier (as devs) to just choose a subset of packages, and test those
out.

if you have X QA-devs, and you have 1 subset of versions of packages, you can
test alot more than if you have several versions of several packages that need
to work all with each other in almost any combinations...

not to mention that you need an extra step with QA to put a "group" of
packages from one level to the next...

sorry, but with our current resources, i vote no. i want current resources to
be used much more efficiently than with a rolling release.