[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Anne nicolas ennael at mageia.org
Mon Jun 13 20:14:07 CEST 2011

2011/6/13 Lee Forest <lee8oi at gmail.com>

> I like the idea of releasing when ready. Its done when the team thinks its
> ready and not because its being demanded by end users. In Linux Mint this
> does alot of good because of having to clean up after ubuntu so much. The
> releases are much more stable and polished. The way clement lefabre likes
> it. And everyone who uses it is usually satisfied with the end product.

Well this is theway it seems we are going to, some people proposing 9 months
release depending on release dates of main softwares. Anyway whatever the
choice, it's obvious that we will not release final one if  this is not
stable enough.

> As for being in the news more, we dont have to put out a release just to be
> able blog about whats going on in the mageia community and remind everyone
> why mageia is special. But this must be the case because theres rarely any
> new news posted in mageia blog unless a release is coming out. Thats getting
> about as lame as these messages in this mailing list telling people they
> sent their message to the mailing list wrong.
> What is this distro really about? One upping mandriva and following the
> same mechanical routines they did to piss you guys off, or building a real
> community distribution of gnu/linux that cares more about keeping in touch
> with the community than they do about the way someone new sent a mailing
> list message. Theres more to a linux community then mailing lists.
> At first I was excited about using mageia, and being a part of the
> community. Now im dissappointed because I see how you treat people that are
> not on the team. Basically like their opinions

Not at all. everyone can subscribe mailing- lists. The point is Mageia is a
young project and we cannot afford for now at least to spread efforts on
forums and mailing-lists and blogs... People still sleep during the night.
It may not be perfect but it's a start. Our points is just to try to get all
opinions in a same place, that's all.

> (that you ask for) dont matter, and you are only concerned with the proper
> submission of mailing lists messages. Get someone on the blogs and start
> talking to the rest of the community the way they deserve. I agree with the
> gentleman leaving the mailing list. This isn't worth sticking around for.
> Time to remember why you started mageia in the first place.

Of course we are opened to any of your proposals and ideas and contributions
to improve all this :)

Cheers

--
Anne