[Mageia-dev] Question about backports: calibre (bug 1659)

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Jun 16 10:28:22 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 16 juin 2011 00:57:45, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU a écrit :
> Well, first of all, I never liked the _concept_ of backports. Too many
> repositories, too complex tree already. One of the reasons I wasn't very
> fond of Mandriva (the other reason being the IaOra theme(s).)

Or, like some of us try to bring for the future, we could make backports easy
to use, without the user having to cope with the underlying mirror structure
complexity. If for each application that doesn't need big lib changes you had
2 available versions, one that doesn't add new features but only fixes, and one
that brings the latest upstream version, wouldn't it be good for you AND for
those who want stability above all ? (with the ability to have a mixed
approach : updates for most packages and backports for some of them).

I agree that currently backports are not easy to use, but we're trying to
solve that, without sacrificing stability for those who need it (especially
institutions, schools, universities, and all environments with many computers
to maintain).

Samuel