[Mageia-dev] Question about backports: calibre (bug 1659)

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Jun 16 23:29:14 CEST 2011

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU a écrit :

>> From: andre999<andr55 at laposte.net>
>>
> [...]
>> Considering your concern for the application, maybe you would
>> like to package it for Mageia.  You could ensure that it is always up to date, and that it
>> works properly, and is properly supported.  (The packager is a key player in support.) Just
>> because it is called a backport doesn't mean that it won't work. The packager mentoring
>> program will help you get started :)
>>
>> -- André
>

> Well, first of all, I never liked the _concept_ of backports. Too many repositories, too complex
> tree already. One of the reasons I wasn't very fond of Mandriva (the other reason being the
> IaOra theme(s).)

As Stormi suggested, you could consider backports as "feature updates".  (Whether or not the
repository names change.)
There is a certain logic for having separate backport repositories.
It is normal to put more focus on security updates and bug fixes, than introducing new features.
The former could also be considered release blockers, but never backports.
So QA focuses on security updates and bug fixes.
Also, Mandriva provided corporate support for the former, but not backports.  Of course this
concept doesn't apply to a volonteer community distro such as Mageia.
Mageia policy is inherited from Mandriva, but is evidently subject to changes.
In terms of support, the nature of support by Mageia is yet to be defined, but it is starting to be
discussed.

> From the NON-rolling distros, Fedora is arguably the only one who tries to bring newer versions
> of a number of applications throughout its 12+1 months lifecycle. w/o using backports. My
> opinion is that, as long as system libraries are _not_ upgraded, many other packages
> (applications!) should be updated as appropriate. Otherwise, the result would be that Windows
> users would have more freedom and ease in decided what version of the [multi-platform
> open-source] applications to use than Linux users! (Except, of course, the users of
> rolling-release distros, and except for users of unstable/rawhide/cooker/cauldron...)
>
> I know, I should probably be using Fedora as long as _some_ of their principles suit my views
> much more than Mageia does or than Mandriva did. However, Fedora lacks something like Mandriva
> Control Center, and yum is millions of times slower than urpmi, therefore...

I appreciate the same strengths inherited by Mageia.

> Not to mention that most of the best people Mandriva had are now with Mageia, which makes this
> distro hard to ignore... (Je crois qu'on appelle cela zugzwang...)

I agree totally.  Mageia is the best of the old Mandriva.

So what I propose is that you seriously consider packaging your application for Mageia.
We find a mentor for you to apprentice with, to familiarise you with the process.
In choosing a mentor, it would help to find someone in the same time zone.
You're in Canada ?  What time zone ?
(I'd offer to mentor you myself, being also in Canada, but I'm not yet a full packager.)
When I started, I was able to package my favorite application to start with, hopefully you can do
the same, if it's not too complicated.  (Since you indicate that it doesn't have dependancies
to/from other packages, I suspect that it would be relatively straight-forward.)
Once you have started packaging, you have a better chance to influence Mageia policy, if you still
think that it should be changed.
But in any case you would be able to ensure that your package is available on Mageia, and is always
up to date.
And of course, ensure that it works properly.

So, isn't it worth a try ? :)

--
André