[Mageia-dev] Question about backports: calibre (bug 1659)

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Jun 17 18:14:13 CEST 2011

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU a écrit :

> André,
>
> No matter what my e-mail address is, I am not in Canada, but in Romania.

Ok.  So you're close (in time zone) to most contributors :)

> Anyway, I'll think of packaging once I fix some other issues. Right now I'm investigating a very
> peculiar crash in KCharSelect (an upstream issue), which actually means KCharSelect crashes when
> a bad font is used (DejaVu _is_ having some bad issues). As I am not familiar with Qt4/KDE
> development, it's a kinky issue. And the bug is not where it seems to be. (I can't report the
> bug right now, but if you want details, ask me.) I am stunned that such an application like
> KCharSelect can crash such badly and nobody fixes it (yes, to reproduce the bug you must know to
> identify the actual conditions, however there are some upstream bug reports about this crashes,
> poorly defined). This being said, CharMap in Windows _never_ crashed, in no version of Windows,
> whereas KCharSelect _always_ crashes, from KDE 4.0 onwards. If I won't be able to pinpoint the
> bug (yes, I want to fix it), I might reconsider one more time using KDE4 (hence Linux) on my
> laptop, as this is utterly ridiculous to have KCharSelect crashing  ...

Maybe KCharSelect wasn't updated for KDE 4 ?
Why not use gucharmap ?  It seems complete, is desktop-neutral, and has never given me any problems.
It's on the regular mageia dvd's (but not the dual).  And of course in the repositories.
Problem solved :)

>> When I started, I was able to package my favorite application to start with, hopefully you can
>> do the same, if it's not too complicated.  (Since you indicate that it doesn't have
>> dependancies to/from other packages, I suspect that it would be relatively straight-forward.)
>
> It needs Python 2.7 and whatnot, but this is not an issue. (I've packaged some RPMs in 2009,
> just not for Mandriva, for EL5-compatible distros.)

Python 2.7 is in Mageia 1.
If you've already had a Mandriva packaging account, you already qualify to be a Mageia packager.
Otherwise you have to be mentored, but being familiar with packaging, it should be a very quick
process :)

--
André