[Mageia-dev] "Job offer" : mentoring program coordinator

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sun Jun 19 00:21:58 CEST 2011

Samuel Verschelde a écrit :

> Le dimanche 12 juin 2011 15:27:59, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
>> Hello to everyone,

>> During a packagers weekly meeting, misc invited us to read the following
>> article about mentoring programs in open-source projects:
>> http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2011/05/31/effective-mentoring-programs/
>>
>> I invite those who haven't read it yet, to read it. I'll quote one of the
>> mentoring best practices that were given: "In bigger projects, keeping
>> track of who is a mentor, and who is mentoring who, and inviting new
>> mentors, and ensuring that no-one falls through the cracks when a mentor
>> gets too busy, is a job of itself."
>>
>> I'm looking for someone who could fill that "job".
>>
>> Description of the job:
>>
>> - keep track of:
>> -- who's being mentored by who, how well it's going
>> -- who needs a mentor and hasn't found one yet (this is one of the most
>> important parts: no volunteer must be forgotten, volunteers are too
>> precious !)
>> -- who can mentor more apprentices (and sometimes convince packagers to
>> become mentors or accept one more apprentice)
>>
>> - be available for questions from apprentices or mentors, by mail, and if
>> possible, to be present on the IRC channel #mageia-mentoring on freenode
>>
>> - help mentors with gathering "junior tasks" (bugzilla is a never empty
>> reserve that can be used for that. Maybe ask the bug triage team to help
>> identify such tasks. Maybe a "junior task" keyword in bugzilla would do the
>> trick)
>> -- small bugs to fix
>> -- new small packages to import in the distribution
>> -- backports
>>
>> - promote mentoring (empower users into contributers. Working with the
>> marketing team would be great I think):
>> -- make the mentoring program known (MLs, forums, web, etc.)
>> -- look for new apprentices
>> -- look for new mentors
>>
>> Some useful skills:
>> - be autonomous (ie no need to check that you're doing the work)
>> - good written english (communication is very important in this job)
>> - knowledge about packaging is a plus but not mandatory (the key aspects
>> can be taught to you)
>> - being or having been a mentor, or having been mentored would be a plus,
>> but not mandatory
>>
>> More information about the job:
>> - does not require a big amount of work, but real committment to the task
>> and regularity
>> - remember that you have a coordination role, not an authoritative role.
>> The difference in that is that you're not here to give orders but to
>> facilitate the mentoring program.
>> - you don't have to be alone to do this job if it's too much for one
>> person: you can find other helpful people wanting to help you if needed
>> and rely on the other teams (but finding them *is* part of your job ;) ).
>> -  this "job offer" concerns everything that revolves around the mentoring
> [...]

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)  I'll do everything to assure that it's not misplaced.

I see the mentoring program coordinator as facilitating contributions to the key process of Mageia.
  To continue our progress in making Mageia one of the best distros available.
(Packaging/development is the "nerf de la guerre", as we say in French.  Roughly translates as the
"heart of the war".)

I would appreciate any help, particularly on IRC.
(My availability on IRC is mostly when european contributors are asleep (or falling asleep, as
shikamaru can testify).

And also any advice/guidance/insights from ennael & misc, of course.

As an aside, I intend to complete my mentoring process so as to be able to eventually mentor those
in the North American time zones.

--
André