[Mageia-dev] Proposal of a backporting process

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Jun 24 21:16:41 CEST 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :

> - Someone request a backport ...
>
> - a packager decide to do it. ...
>
> - I am not sure on this part, but basically, we have 2 choices :
>    - the packager take the cauldron package and push to backport testing
>    - the packager move the cauldron package in svn to backport, and there
> send it to backport testing.
>
> Proposal 1 mean less work duplication, but proposal 2 let us do more
> customization.

> This way :
> - packages are not sent untested, thus raising confidence in backports
> - the QA should not be overloaded, and can focus on updates
> - sysadmins are not overloaded
> - people requesting backport see how QA work, and are involved into the
> distribution as testers, thus creating a much healthier discussion with
> packagers, and creating more incentive to help. And since they request
> the package, they will be motivated to test more than stuff they do not
> use.
>
> WDYT ?

Overall I think that it is an excellent approach, for the reasons given.
I don't yet understand the difference between proposal 1 and 2, so for the moment I don't have a
preference.

Even though bugzilla might seem a bit cumbersome for requesting backports, otherwise I think that
it is an excellent tool for this purpose.
We could perhaps have some sort of shortcut for filing backport requests.

--
André