[Mageia-dev] Proposal of a backporting process

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 21:39:51 CEST 2011

On 24 June 2011 02:09, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as said in the thread of firefox 5, and in the meeting of packager
> sooner this week, this is the first mail about backports ( on 3 ).
>
> So here is the proposal of a process, based on the feedback of people,
> and the idea of some packagers ( mainly stormi ).
>

> - Someone request a backport ( by bugzilla, by madb, by a email, by
> taking a packager family in hostage, whatever ). I would prefer use
> bugzilla but this may not be very user friendly, or too heavy.

How would the packager get notified of backports requests via madb?

Would you elaborate on how bugzilla is heavy for a backports request?

> - a packager decide to do it. Based on the policy ( outlined in another
> mail ), and maybe seeing with the maintainer first about that for non
> trivial applications, the backport can be done, or not. The criterias
> for being backported or not are not important to the process, just
> assume that they exist for now ( and look at next mail ). So based on
> criteria, someone say "it can be backported, so I do it".

[...]

> - I am not sure on this part, but basically, we have 2 choices :
>  - the packager take the cauldron package and push to backport testing
>  - the packager move the cauldron package in svn to backport, and there
> send it to backport testing.
>
> Proposal 1 mean less work duplication, but proposal 2 let us do more
> customization.

Option 1 doesn't only mean not duplicating work, but also that the the
spec in backports svn isn't ever out-dated; the only reason I see a
package being in stable distro SVN is if it's in /release|updates, not
backports...

> if the package doesn't build, the packager fix ( or drop the idea if
> this requires too much work )
>
> - the packager send requesting feedback about the backport from the
> people who requested it, and test it as well.

Probably off-topic, but how will that work with madb? i.e. how will
the maintainer get the feedback?

> - based on feedback ( ie if the package work or if the packager is
> confident ), the packager decide to move it to backport for everybody,
> using some stuff similar to rpmctl ( the tool we used to move package at
> Mandriva ). The tool would also send notifications.

The packager decides to move it and he has the necessary privileges to
do so? or will he have to request someone from another team to move
it?

> - if the package doesn't work, he either fix, or drop the backport idea.
> If he fix, we go back on testing, if he drop, we remove the rpm ( with a
> automated cleaning of rpm after 1 or 2 months ).

[..]

> If the packager drop the backport, it should be notified to the
> requester ( hence the use of bugzilla, or a more suitable tool )

Agreed.

> This way :
> - packages are not sent untested, thus raising confidence in backports

How many times did backports breaks a user's whole installation? we
always say that backports should mainly be cherry picked, but not
enabled all the time... so how does installing a new version of e.g.
wine break the user's system when he can easily back out that rpm?

--
Ahmad Samir