[Mageia-dev] Monitoring of new GNOME/upstream releases

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jun 25 10:35:13 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 24 juin 2011 à 13:53 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:46:59AM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > Now, if you want to create a notification system for that, feel free.
> > The software can be found on ouri.zarb.og, the documentation is minimal,
> > this is perl. You can however get test result in txt format, html, or
> > anything, and thus a tool to send notification ( and more important, a
> > tool to configure notification ) can be constructed upon that.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Already noticed a few things:
> 1. It uses the LATEST-IS files and there was a bug with that and not
> everything has been fixed atm (is fixed for new stuff)

The original setup do use others sources ( others distro, freshmeat, etc
), so I guess this bug would not affect us too much.

But if I understood well, this is fixed so it would be ok in the long
term ?

> 2. It uses http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/gnome.org/sources instead of
> either http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources (primary mirror) or
> http://download.gnome.org/ (currently just redirects to primary mirror,
> long term goal is having it redirect to closest mirror).

I guess that can be fixed quite quick.

> Didn't fully analyse yet, but noticed it uses a database, so think I'll
> need to make two things:
>  - script to process live update messages (ftp-release-list in case of
>    GNOME)
>  - script to notify people (either immediately or when youri runs from
>    cron) + setting in database which ensures the announce only goes out
>    once
>
> I'll try to work on this.
>
> How would the maintainer data be stored btw? Should it be a config file
> that a script generates, LDAP?

It would be in a web software, with a json export. But the software is
not finished yet, Pascal Terjan said he would look at it. See
http://gitorious.org/mageia-maintainers-database-r2

> Also: is a maintainer always the same for all branches? e.g. if someone
> maintainers metacity, that person is responsible for Cauldron, stable
> releases, backports, etc (some distributions differ on this)?

So far, yes. We discussed the concept of having more than one maintainer
however per package.
--
Michael Scherer