[Mageia-dev] Monitoring of new GNOME/upstream releases

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jun 24 13:53:22 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:46:59AM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Now, if you want to create a notification system for that, feel free.
> The software can be found on ouri.zarb.og, the documentation is minimal,
> this is perl. You can however get test result in txt format, html, or
> anything, and thus a tool to send notification ( and more important, a
> tool to configure notification ) can be constructed upon that.

Thanks for the pointer. Already noticed a few things:
1. It uses the LATEST-IS files and there was a bug with that and not
everything has been fixed atm (is fixed for new stuff)
2. It uses http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/gnome.org/sources instead of
either http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources (primary mirror) or
http://download.gnome.org/ (currently just redirects to primary mirror,
long term goal is having it redirect to closest mirror).

Didn't fully analyse yet, but noticed it uses a database, so think I'll
need to make two things:
 - script to process live update messages (ftp-release-list in case of
   GNOME)
 - script to notify people (either immediately or when youri runs from
   cron) + setting in database which ensures the announce only goes out
   once

I'll try to work on this.

How would the maintainer data be stored btw? Should it be a config file
that a script generates, LDAP?
Also: is a maintainer always the same for all branches? e.g. if someone
maintainers metacity, that person is responsible for Cauldron, stable
releases, backports, etc (some distributions differ on this)?
--
Regards,
Olav