[Mageia-dev] Please test: initscripts+systemd in updates_testing

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Tue Nov 1 12:54:49 CET 2011

On Monday 31 October 2011 18:17, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > So why merge / and /usr and kill a usable feature?

> What is the usable feature ?

I can ask you the same thing: What is the usable feature of merging the two? What benefit do I get as a result?

One reson to have a separate /usr is terminal servers which mounts /usr and what not from a sentral server. (e.g. LTSP, Debian-Edu, Skolelinux)
If something in /usr is resulting in the need for manual fsck, you have a healthy root file system to work from.
If something goes wrong with the root file system, you have a lot less chance of fixing something without having to result to a boot CD/usb-stick.

I've been using GNU/Linux for some 10 years now. One of the first things I learned was the value of having /usr on a separate partition.
Even on desktop systems I have /, /home, /usr, /var, and /tmp.
And there are many users who do this.
I don't know anyone who doesn't have /usr on a separate partition.
All of my friends who use GNU/Linux does this. Every single one.

Having something which forces the merging of / and /usr into a big / will Break many systems on an upgrade.

And, why should the system even have to care about if I have /usr on a separate partition?

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324