[Mageia-dev] Please test: initscripts+systemd in updates_testing

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Wed Nov 2 03:49:02 CET 2011

On Wednesday 02 November 2011 01:05, andre999 wrote:
> No offense intended

None detected. ;-)=

> but you don't see a slight advantage of not having
> to mount a separate partition, and of sharing the space available on the
> otherwise 2 separate partitions, particularly if the disk space is
> somewhat limited ?

If the diskspace is limited, there often is no available space to host a separate /usr.
The old drive in my gateway was a 4G drive. There was One partition. ;-)=
I do see the need to have all in one partition in many cases.

But there is a diffenrece in having a need and require it. :-)=

> Since you have read the reference, you didn't notice that the option of
> separate partitions is _not_ precluded ?

Some of the answers I got here suggested otherwize. if /usr needs to be mounted in order for the system to boot normally. Then have systemd mount it.
I do see that there might be some problems involved in solving it.

> However if one has / and /usr on the same partition, combining /bin,
> /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin would certainly be a lot simpler than it
> is now.

Yes. I see that, and I see that it can be agood idea to merge /*bin with /usr/*bin

> I never could understand why the complication of separate /bin and /sbin,

I still feel that the daemon's executeable's belongs in sbin rather than bin.

> and never appreciated the gymnastics of different commands with
> the same name to handle root/non-root permissions for certain commands.

I haven't noticed that. do you have an example?

> To me, avoiding unnecessary complication by design is a big plus.

Agreed. But don't throw the baby out with the water. ;-)=

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324