[Mageia-dev] Please test: initscripts+systemd in updates_testing

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Wed Nov 2 07:47:21 CET 2011

Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Wednesday 02 November 2011 01:05, andre999 wrote:

[...]
>> Since you have read the reference, you didn't notice that the option of
>> separate partitions is _not_ precluded ?
>>
> Some of the answers I got here suggested otherwize. if /usr needs to be mounted in order for the system to boot normally. Then have systemd mount it.
> I do see that there might be some problems involved in solving it.

I think it is better to mount any separate /usr as early in the boot
process as possible.

[...]
>> and never appreciated the gymnastics of different commands with
>> the same name to handle root/non-root permissions for certain commands.
>>
> I haven't noticed that. do you have an example?

See the attached file of duplications of names on my computer.
There are 76 duplications in the 4 directories.
Those ending in @ are symbolic links.  Such duplications will disappear
with the merging.
The others are mostly (if not all) scripts which link to a routine which
asks for the root password for certain commands, according to enabled
permissions.  If the permissions are enabled and the password correctly
entered, the user is rerouted to the initial command.  A less obscure
way of dealing with it would be better.
(I forget the details, but someone like tv or misc would know.)

>> To me, avoiding unnecessary complication by design is a big plus.
>>
> Agreed. But don't throw the baby out with the water. ;-)=

If just changing initramfs to load any separate /usr partition will fix
it, I don't see that we are losing anything.
Although if someone like tmb can initially misunderstand the impact, I
guess anyone can.  (It took me a while.)

Maybe it will be more trouble to make such an initramfs, but once it is
made, it should work nicely.  Without a special reason to have a
separate /usr, I would say that it is better to avoid it.
I see that ensuring that everything necessary to fully boot being
guaranteed to be available very early in the boot process is a big plus.
If /home isn't available, one can always login to root.  As well,
keeping /home on a separate partition has advantages for ensuring the
persistance of personal data and configuration in the event of
reformatting /.

--
André