[Mageia-dev] Please test: initscripts+systemd in updates_testing

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Wed Nov 2 16:27:39 CET 2011

On Wednesday 02 November 2011 07:47, andre999 wrote:
> Without a special reason to have a separate /usr,
> I would say that it is better to avoid it.

The one issiue left then is how to solve the fact that many users do have a separate /usr, when they upgrade the distro to a version with systemd.
If systemd currently require /usr to be on the same filesystem as /, then the upgrade should be halted or interrupted with a warning to warn the user about the fact that currently he can't upgrade, and why. Or something to that effect, as there are many systems that have / of only a gigabyte, or so. For instance, all of my systems have this setup.
Providing that systemd, or something systemd depends on, actually require that. :-)=

One way to solve it is to do what Ubuntu (i believe) does, where the installation routine require the root filesystem to be at least 12 Gigabyte. It won't continue the installation untill / is at least 12 G.

Perhaps one can create the abillity to have the installer merge the two partitions into one. I have no idea if that actually is possible without having to reformat the new big partition. Nor do I know if it's even a good idea. (Just sharing the idea, thinking out loud.)

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324