[Mageia-dev] qemu new upstream release (1.0-rc1) and should we move from qemu-kvm to qemu?

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Wed Nov 16 04:30:49 CET 2011

On 14.11.2011 14:47, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 November 2011 22:11:31 Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

>>> I prefer to wait on the stable release ( ie, no rc1 ).
>>> We will wait on stable version of qemu.
>> OK
>>
>>> And no patch unless it comes from upstream ( and even, I am not keen on
>>> backporting feature, better wait for stable release ).
>> GNS3 is already in stable! This package is broken - no dynamips (=no
>> router emulation at all...),
> Well, for me, I upgraded from Mandriva, and AFAIK there has been no new
> release of dynamips in the past year =>  grab the package from
> Mandriva for
> nwo, and log an enhancement bug (you can assign to me) for dynamips.
Dynamips is already imported into Mageia - it needs a review from my
mentor. This software is abandoned by its creator(s), and now without a
maintainer. It is developed in free time by GNS3 developers.

And NO. There was new "community" release in this year.
This is officially a fork and de facto considered as the main branch
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/files/Dynamips/0.2.8-RC3-community/

>> no patched qemu (no virtualization support
>> at all...) According to the developers and their online documentation
>> for package maintainers http://forum.gns3.net/post11571.html UDP patched
>> Qemu is dependency/very important.
> Can you provide a bit more information on what GNS3 feature needs this
> patched
> qemu? I have in the past hooked up my kvm VMs to dynamips routers (before
> GNS3).
GNS3 contain qemuwrapper to help emulate connections between multiple
PCs through virtual (emulated) router on one single (but not limited to
only one) machine. It uses UDP networking. You can chose your ready to
use image for qemu - in GNS3 menu -  (for example  with JunOS - there
are downloadable ready to use images with different OS) and immediately
have it working.

Honestly I haven't been testing it with qemu - I have probably to wait
for possible upstream patch or make it finally myself.

There are some official images
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/files/Qemu%20Appliances/
> Is this for Pix emulation, or just for launching generic virtual
> machines/emulated hardware as part of your lab?
>
> I really don't think the Pix emulation (I have never seen a maintained
> patch)
> is ready for anyone to include it ... but I haven't looked recently.
For Pix there is as far as I know pemu. Pemu was for afaik for qemu
0.9.x series and it's to old to push to upstream.
>> We must fix the package and provide at least not so heavy broken ones...
>>
>> I've prepared new version of GNS3, included into svn dynamips
> Did you base it on the existing Mandriva package?
I based on Mageia already existing package and then to make it working I
based on others distros (especially openSUSE) and FreeBSD ports.