[Mageia-dev] qemu new upstream release (1.0-rc1) and should we move from qemu-kvm to qemu?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Nov 14 14:47:44 CET 2011

On Saturday, 12 November 2011 22:11:31 Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> On 12.11.2011 20:20, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > Le samedi 12 novembre 2011 à 16:44 +0100, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
> >> There is also one important patch missed in Mageia -
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-11/msg00787.html it's
> >> dependency for the GNS3 simulator. OpenSUSE already includes it
> >> https://build.opensuse.org/package/files?package=qemu&project=openSUSE%3
> >> ATools
> >>
> >> If nobody is against I will do it and contact the maintainer (misc).
> >
> > I prefer to wait on the stable release ( ie, no rc1 ).
> > We will wait on stable version of qemu.
>
> OK
>
> > And no patch unless it comes from upstream ( and even, I am not keen on
> > backporting feature, better wait for stable release ).
>
> GNS3 is already in stable! This package is broken - no dynamips (=no
> router emulation at all...),

Well, for me, I upgraded from Mandriva, and AFAIK there has been no new
release of dynamips in the past year => grab the package from Mandriva for
nwo, and log an enhancement bug (you can assign to me) for dynamips.

> no patched qemu (no virtualization support
> at all...) According to the developers and their online documentation
> for package maintainers http://forum.gns3.net/post11571.html UDP patched
> Qemu is dependency/very important.

Can you provide a bit more information on what GNS3 feature needs this patched
qemu? I have in the past hooked up my kvm VMs to dynamips routers (before
GNS3).

Is this for Pix emulation, or just for launching generic virtual
machines/emulated hardware as part of your lab?

I really don't think the Pix emulation (I have never seen a maintained patch)
is ready for anyone to include it ... but I haven't looked recently.

> We must fix the package and provide at least not so heavy broken ones...
>
> I've prepared new version of GNS3, included into svn dynamips

Did you base it on the existing Mandriva package?

> and
> xdotool (this one suggested) - these I can maintain with my mentor, so I
> ask for patch qemu in stable versus UDP support.

Regards,
Buchan