[Mageia-dev] Teamviewer and X86_64 build . . .

Donald Stewart watersnowrock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:51:42 CET 2011

On 29 November 2011 13:44, Thorsten van Lil <tvl83 at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 29.11.2011 14:17, schrieb Thomas Backlund:
>
>> Robert Fox skrev 29.11.2011 13:24:

>>> Sorry Nicolas - I would if I knew how, but unfortunately I am not a
>>> packager nor am I a developer with intimate knowledge of Mageia - I am
>>> simply a power user who enjoys testing the latest (cauldron) and giving
>>> feedback.
>>>

>> Ah... and there it is...
>>
>> This is how most threads like this ends up...
>>
>> Many users seems to forget this is a community driven distribution,
>> so if you want something no-one of the current maintainers care
>> about, you need to do the work, and stop expecting others to do
>> it for you (unless you pay them)...

This is a very good point, however, i feel that it should be said,
that while we, as in Mageia are very welcome to new packagers and make
the process as easy as possible, there still seems to be a large
number of posts asking about how to become one, rather than, "i want
to become one, can I have a mentor please"

> I don't think that he is "expecting others to do it" for him.
>
> As Robert Fox said:
> "All I am asking is that Mageia recognise the need for the end
> users to co-exist with their Mac / Winblows counterparts, and that
> certain software is unavoidable.  Any efforts made to help get such
> software to work properly with our distribution would be considered
> positive."
>
> So, if I understood him right, a how-to would be enough for him.
> Three possible solutions came to my mind, to solve this issue:
> 1. We write a documentation for, which has to be translated in each
> language.
> 2. We provide a get-teamviewer package (as for skype). I guess there would
> be a script in it, that does the needed steps? However, a packager would be
> needed for it, who build and maintain it.
> 3. We take care, that the provided Mandriva package on the Teamviewer
> website works properly in Mageia. Due to my limited knowledge I can't
> estimate the effort for that possible solution.
>
> Regards,
> Thorsten

I would say that number 1 here makes the most sense, provided that
there aren't changes every 3 months in the teamviewer dependencies,
which seems unlikely.

For number 3, I would say using the Fedora rpm would be better
practice, as more software like Teamviewer will have rpms for Fedora
than Mandriva.