[Mageia-dev] Please test dracut (mkinitrd replacement)

Balcaen John mikala at mageia.org
Fri Oct 21 11:44:24 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 21 octobre 2011 00:29:46 Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Due to upcoming changes to systemd and friends we'll likely need to use
> dracut rather than mkinitrd for some setups (i.e. those with LVM volumes
> defined in /etc/fstab)
>
> It would be good if people here could test as we will likely make it the
> default at some point in the not too distant future.
>
> To test:
>
> sudo -i (or su -)
> urpmi dracut
> cd /boot
> mv initrd-3.1.0-desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2.img initrd-old.img
> /sbin/installkernel -N 3.1.0-desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2
>

> This should install dracut, move the existing initrd out of the way, and
> regenerate a new one using dracut. If you are using a different kernel
> version then adjust the two commands accordingly to pick the right version.
>
> Then just reboot. Hopefully all will go well and you won't notice much
> difference :)
Indeed it did reboot without too much problem here with lvm for / & /home.
However i noticed that the initrd is bigger than the old mkinitrd :
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 7,8M oct.  20 22:40 initrd-3.1.0-
desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2.img
-rw-------  1 root root 5,4M oct.  18 09:50 initrd-3.1.0-
desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2.img-old

During the creation of the initrd there's several warnings  about moving
several files to /etc/modprobe.d/ (such as the
/etc/modprobe.conf), i noticed especially this one

« perl: "include /lib/module-init-tools/modprobe.compat" is deprecated, please
use /etc/modprobe.d
»
It seems this file was created to ensure transition between the 2.4 & 2.6
kernel release, maybe we can safely drop it now ?

Regards,

--
Balcaen John
Jabber-id: mikala at jabber.littleboboy.net