[Mageia-dev] Please test dracut (mkinitrd replacement)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Oct 21 11:49:24 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Balcaen John at 21/10/11 10:44 did gyre and gimble:
> Le vendredi 21 octobre 2011 00:29:46 Colin Guthrie a écrit :

>> Then just reboot. Hopefully all will go well and you won't notice much
>> difference :)

> Indeed it did reboot without too much problem here with lvm for / & /home.
> However i noticed that the initrd is bigger than the old mkinitrd :
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 7,8M oct.  20 22:40 initrd-3.1.0-
> desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2.img
> -rw-------  1 root root 5,4M oct.  18 09:50 initrd-3.1.0-
> desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2.img-old

Yeah, it includes more stuff (including udev itself) so it will
ultimately create larger initrd's... Not sure there is anything we can
do about that :s

> During the creation of the initrd there's several warnings  about moving
> several files to /etc/modprobe.d/ (such as the
> /etc/modprobe.conf), i noticed especially this one
>
> « perl: "include /lib/module-init-tools/modprobe.compat" is deprecated, please
> use /etc/modprobe.d
> »
> It seems this file was created to ensure transition between the 2.4 & 2.6
> kernel release, maybe we can safely drop it now ?

Yeah this is from an update to module-init-tools a while back. It
actually happens with mkinitrd too.