[Mageia-dev] E17 packaging

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Oct 26 18:21:37 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:45:21AM +0200, Florian Hubold wrote:
> Am 26.10.2011 06:59, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> >Le samedi 22 octobre 2011 à 08:41 +0100, Philippe Reynes a écrit :
> >>Hi,
> >>

> >>I've tried to use E17, but it's an old version. I've asked e17 team,
> >>and they answered me that E17 is "rolling release". So no
> >>stable release (or vert vert few).
> >>

> >>I propose to package svn version, so we could be up-to-date.
> >>If a problem occurs, we could report it to upstream.
> >>

> >>What do you think about doing it on all E17 package ?
> >How will it go for stable support ?
> >
> >IE, once mageia 2 is out ?
> >
> We have better chances for bugfixes, don't think the snapshots which
> we used till now ( nearly one year old and also only based on
> the development release) will get some love anymore.
>
> For security issues, there were none that i'm aware of except for imlib2.

There is at least one that I found and reported 2 times ( albeit not using the
public bugtracker ) that didn't get corrected, just look
at http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/browser/trunk/elementary/src/lib/elm_map.c

( a little help : the issue is in the first 25 lines )

> But if you argument this way, we should stay with the packages we have
> until E17 is fully stable and release, but i don't see how this would be better.

We cannot at the same time say
"we offer quality package and take care of fixing them" and at the same time,
just say that we won't.

--
Michael Scherer