[Mageia-dev] Switch from Corba to D-Bus based AT-SPI?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Mon Sep 12 11:09:11 CEST 2011

While trying to test the new on-screen keyboard in GNOME 3.1, I noticed
that the Python module 'pyatspi' from at-spi 1.32 doesn't work with
caribou.

Problem in short: at-spi 1.32 is very old and its python bindings are
static and this won't work with any module which has been converted to
gobject introspection.

In Fedora as of GNOME 3.1+, D-Bus is used instead of Corba for at-spi.

They way they do this:
In at-spi 1.32, you can pass --enable-locate to rename the Python module
to pyatspi_corba.
Then there also is a separate "pyatspi" module (2.1.90); this one should
work together with Caribou. There are still other issues with Caribou
(still under development), but gets us at least closer to an on-screen
keyboard.

Can we make the same switch?

Note: not an expert on anything said above. Perhaps I missed some steps.
--
Regards,
Olav