[Mageia-dev] Switch from Corba to D-Bus based AT-SPI?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 12 16:20:11 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 12/09/11 10:09 did gyre and gimble:
> While trying to test the new on-screen keyboard in GNOME 3.1, I noticed
> that the Python module 'pyatspi' from at-spi 1.32 doesn't work with
> caribou.
>
> Problem in short: at-spi 1.32 is very old and its python bindings are
> static and this won't work with any module which has been converted to
> gobject introspection.
>
> In Fedora as of GNOME 3.1+, D-Bus is used instead of Corba for at-spi.
>
> They way they do this:
> In at-spi 1.32, you can pass --enable-locate to rename the Python module
> to pyatspi_corba.
> Then there also is a separate "pyatspi" module (2.1.90); this one should
> work together with Caribou. There are still other issues with Caribou
> (still under development), but gets us at least closer to an on-screen
> keyboard.
>

> Can we make the same switch?
>

> Note: not an expert on anything said above. Perhaps I missed some steps.

I'm not sure any of us is an expert here, so you're the best we've got!
I actually only imported Caribou recently to satify the deps but didn't
have time to look into things properly like you are doing.

As far as I'm concerned, you have carte blanche to make the necessary
changes here!

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]