[Mageia-dev] New mockups about mageia-app-db

Marcello Anni marcello.anni at alice.it
Sun Feb 6 23:50:51 CET 2011

http://img696.imageshack.us/i/mageiafindoutbrowsingpa.jpg/

> >> sorry but who is supposed to use mageia-app-db ? power users ? dev ?
> >> casual/normal users ?
> >>

> > Samuel said that the application must be useful both for newbies and power
> > users
>
> ok for power users, but for normal users the Ui is too cluttered

[remember that this is only a first mockup made by me (the developer is
Samuel), my goal is to provide to him all the most interesting infos and ideas
to develop the app as best as possible.]

> 1. left pane : Release Alpha vs Cauldron ? for a normal user, this
> means pretty nothing. If the user is looking for an
> application/package, then don't talk about release or repositories.

well, if you have mandriva installed, do you think you don't know what release
is? alpha release vs. cauldron could be "Mageia 2011" and "Mageia 2012"

> What about using instead rpm categories, and then display theses kind
> of information in the package infos

do you mean showing only "amarok" field and when you get into it you'll
download different versions depending on the release installed? it can be an
interesting idea.

> 2. right pane : Alpha vs Beta ?

also here, i mean something like this: "Mageia 2011" and "Mageia 2012"

> 3. center pane : the introduction text is too long IMHO

it is just a first version of what i want to use. any idea to change and
improve the text?

> 4. why do we have 2 search fields ?

samuel told me he wants to use a search field in the home-page, this is up to
him (i would prefer only the smaller search field).

thank you for your input, any other suggestion (also by other people) is
welcome!

cheers,
Marcello