[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Feb 24 17:57:39 CET 2011

Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 13:27

> Le jeudi 24 février 2011 à 10:06 +0100, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> >
> > I don't think so. Several Mandriva releases ago, there was no such
> > "More"
> > entry, but real sub-categories in the menu. Then it changed for
> > what we have
> > now, but that wasn't a change in the .desktop files, rather a menu
> >
> > configuration. I guess that was a decision meant to bring
> > "simplicity",
>
> Yes, and that's a choice that can be backed by several studies on the
> subject, the working memory have been estimated to be 7 chunks of
> information ( between 5 and 9 is a wildly accepted range ). I remember
> having seen a studie saying that it was less than this, but I cannot
> find it ( and it was on slashdot, so this may have been wrong ).
>
> So presenting only ~7 chunks of information ( ie ~7 items in menu ) is
> better according to the current cognitive model used, such as this one
> :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_information_processor_model

The study that estimates the number of chunks of information a normal human
can keep in working memory might be correct, but it's applied in a
completely unfitting situation here.

Scanning a list of program names has nothing to do keeping chunks of info
in the brain.

I'm pretty sure that if we make a survey among Mandriva users the majority
will be saying they don't like apps hidden behind "More" as it currently
happens, they would want them  in the higher level with all the other apps
of the same type.

Every Mandriva user I know (regarless if a complete noob or an IT literate
person) finds the "More.." folder confusing and counterintuitive and
without any benefit.

I would actually think this is one of those things where a poll among users
would make sense, since it doesn't really have technical implications
either way.

Another solution would be to make it a configurable user preference, but of
course that would require someone to write the necessary code, so that's
not such an immediate solution as changing the config.

BTW: can anyone tell me where exactly this "More" folder behaviour is
configured?

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/