[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 24 18:19:08 CET 2011

2011/2/24 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>:

> Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 17:48
>
>> So in the mean time, we have to rely on guess made from packagers on
>> what would be the best application to use _if_ people did install more
>> applications and didn't remove the installed default one, nor
>> cleaned/move the entry ( because for some reason, it seems that no one
>> ever do it ).
>
> But this is flawed logic, IF a user manually installs a new app that means
> he is interested in using it, so it shouldn't be hidden away behind
> "More". There is no guessing involved for apps that aren't installed by
> default, those apps that a users needs to install manually should NEVER
> disappear behind "More"!

Well, personal experiences differ, we all know that. Although I can
understand the reasoning behind this last remark, I can't remember
that I ever read a user complaining about the "More" feature within
years of forum reading. Either people really did not regard it as such
a nuisance or if they did they easily changed it with the menue
editor.
I also experienced that people who install apps the manual way tend to
place them on the desktop (create an icon) rather for quick access
than care for putting them in the menue.

--
wobo