[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Feb 25 01:12:07 CET 2011

Le vendredi 25 février 2011 à 00:09 +0200, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> On 24.02.2011 21:15, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > Le jeudi 24 février 2011 à 20:30 +0200, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> >>
> >> I have about 15-30 entries in everyone of Internet, Office, Audio/Video,
> >> Tools, Tools->System submenus.
> >
> > By submenu, you mean the "more" submenu ? I fail to understand what do
> > you have exactly, can you provides a screenshot ?
>
> No, I mean menu entries directly under those menus.
> http://onse.fi/files/kuvat/menu1.png
> http://onse.fi/files/kuvat/menu2.png
>
> IMHO too many entries there.

We agree. Now, what ever you do, there is too much entries.
In the end, if you have a deep hierarchy, there is still a problem
and you will hit a limit, no matter what you do.

> With two levels I think at least the number
> of entries/submenus directly under the Internet menu would be
> significantly reduced.

Likely.
Then I misunderstood you when ou told "keep the current system".

> >> With a two-level system it would be considerably less and closer to the
> >> ~7 you mention.
> >
> > Depend, what is the process that you are wanting to improve ?
> > ( and closer is not good enough, even if 15 is nearer to 7 than 20,
> > that's still too much and a different process is used ( according to
> > studies ))
>
> No idea. IMO finding the wanted application is faster when it goes
> Internet => 5-7 submenus => each with 2-5 app entries
> instead of the current
> Internet => 20 app entries, plus 10 more in "More"

Yes. But I think that what some people want is
Internet => 30 apps.
( ie, suppress More )

Citing tux99 :

"I'm pretty sure that if we make a survey among Mandriva users the
majority will be saying they don't like apps hidden behind "More" as it
currently happens, they would want them  in the higher level with all
the other apps of the same type."

So maybe I misunderstood.

What need to be taken in account too is also the case
Internet => 5-7 apps.

Having :
Internet => 5-7 submenus => 1 app entry
is IMHO clearly suboptimal.

( ie, 1 step more to get application , on a total of 3, that's a lot ).

--
Michael Scherer