[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Fri Feb 25 02:52:53 CET 2011

On 25.02.2011 02:12, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 février 2011 à 00:09 +0200, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
>>>
>>> Depend, what is the process that you are wanting to improve ?
>>> ( and closer is not good enough, even if 15 is nearer to 7 than 20,
>>> that's still too much and a different process is used ( according to
>>> studies ))
>>
>> No idea. IMO finding the wanted application is faster when it goes
>> Internet => 5-7 submenus => each with 2-5 app entries
>> instead of the current
>> Internet => 20 app entries, plus 10 more in "More"
>
> Yes. But I think that what some people want is
> Internet => 30 apps.
> ( ie, suppress More )
>
> Citing tux99 :
>
> "I'm pretty sure that if we make a survey among Mandriva users the
> majority will be saying they don't like apps hidden behind "More" as it
> currently happens, they would want them  in the higher level with all
> the other apps of the same type."
>
> So maybe I misunderstood.
>
> What need to be taken in account too is also the case
> Internet => 5-7 apps.
>
> Having :
> Internet => 5-7 submenus => 1 app entry
> is IMHO clearly suboptimal.
>
> ( ie, 1 step more to get application , on a total of 3, that's a lot ).

The menu style file [1] allows for "inline_limit" attribute which
specifies a minimum entry count before the submenu is added, otherwise
the app entries are added to the parent menu instead.

So e.g. submenus with less than 2-3 apps could be "merged" to parent
submenu.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html

--
Anssi Hannula