[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Feb 26 01:27:42 CET 2011

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :

> 2011/2/24 Tux99<tux99-mga at uridium.org>:
>>

>> Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 17:48
>>
>>> So in the mean time, we have to rely on guess made from packagers on
>>> what would be the best application to use _if_ people did install more
>>> applications and didn't remove the installed default one, nor
>>> cleaned/move the entry ( because for some reason, it seems that no one
>>> ever do it ).
>>
>> But this is flawed logic, IF a user manually installs a new app that means
>> he is interested in using it, so it shouldn't be hidden away behind
>> "More". There is no guessing involved for apps that aren't installed by
>> default, those apps that a users needs to install manually should NEVER
>> disappear behind "More"!

Agree 100%

> Well, personal experiences differ, we all know that. Although I can
> understand the reasoning behind this last remark, I can't remember
> that I ever read a user complaining about the "More" feature within
> years of forum reading. Either people really did not regard it as such
> a nuisance or if they did they easily changed it with the menue
> editor.
> I also experienced that people who install apps the manual way tend to
> place them on the desktop (create an icon) rather for quick access
> than care for putting them in the menue.

I have never complained about that *very* *annoying* feature.  And I am
sure many others annoyed by it haven't complained in a forum.
Having a nice stable easily accessible menu, in alphabetical order works
best for me.
(If there are too many items for one column in the menu page,
automatically add a parallel column, as used to be the case.)
If someone wants that cache-cache behavior, at least it should be an
option, and not fixed.  (e.g,, as in Microsoft windows, where
cache-cache is the default, but it can be disabled with a readily
accessible option.)
Sure, you can always rearrange the menu, but when eventually the
application is uninstalled, the changes will remain in the menu. Another
unnecessary nuisance.

my 2 cents :)
--
André