[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Feb 26 05:13:05 CET 2011

Samuel Verschelde a écrit :

> Le vendredi 25 février 2011 10:33:42, Michael Scherer a écrit :

>>> Does it happen ? In a default Mandriva KDE installation I already have
>>> more than 10 internet applications.
>>
>> I do not use kde, but that doesn't sound good.
>> What are the entries ? Are all of them really needed ?
>
> - akregator
> - kaddressbook
> - kmail
> - network center (mandriva)
> - kbluetooth
> - kget (download manager)
> - knetattach (= add a network
> - knode : newsgroups reader (unless I installed it manually, not sure)
> - konqueror
> - kontact
> - konversation
> - kopete
> - korganizer
> - kppp
> - krdc
> - krfb
> - ktorrent (unless I installed it manually)
> - firefox
>
> And I agree that many of those will not be used by most people
>

>>> I prefer 3 quick steps rather than 2 long steps.
>>
>> This would requires some testing and measures to see which is faster,
>> which is more confusing. Fcrozat did some tests, but I think the report
>> were not published :/
>>
>>> And KDE gives you the
>>> "recently used applications" on top of the menu, so the extra step is no
>>> big deal.
>>
>> Shall I remind that there is more than KDE in the world ?
>
> No, because it suggests I forgot it, which is not the case :)
> But you mean there is no such functionality in GNOME and other commonly used
> environments ?
>
> Samuel

Gnome doesn't put recently used applications on top.  (Just switched to
test it.)
Neither does the default Mandriva menu, which I usually use. (At least
not by default.)  One problem with that feature is that it can be
difficult to know where to look for a particular app, because it won't
always be in the same place.  But if there were a line separating recent
and others, and both groups were in alphabetical order, it would be
easier to find things.  But I don't if know any menu system does that.
I don't know if Gnome uses a "Plus/More" menu, as the menu lists are
much shorter than the Mandriva menus.
(Partly because much is missing from the tools menus.  But also the
icons are smaller, which is nice.  Unfortunately some submenus aren't
translated.)

Mandriva menus do use a "Plus" submenu. (called that in french.)
Previously sometimes has been used in a menu with only about 7 items,
but currently only appears in one menu approaching the bottom of the page.
(The overflow menu had one item, I removed one item from the parent, and
the overflow menu is still there with one item.)

--
André