[Mageia-dev] Firefox prefs: insertRelatedAfterCurrent

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Mar 7 10:44:41 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 07/03/11 07:48 did gyre and gimble:
> Another view would be that too much tabs is usually a sign that most of
> them
> are not needed now, and should not be shown. But this requires a more
> high level
> interface ( ie, sometimes that say "put the link to a 'read later' list" /
> "place it with other easy to access documentation" rather than a very low
> level operation like "open a new tab" to fullfill all possible
> needs regarding opening a windows )

I completely agree, however I also completely refuse to work
differently... (not because I'm being stubborn, but mainly because I
just don't work like that - tried it, and failed miserably...)

But I totally agree about how much functionality is being pushed into
Browsers that should be the domain of the WM... I find tabbed browsing
very similar to the MDI (multiple document interface) from many moons
ago on Windows... when e.g. Word would have several documents open but
only one "Word" application. The paradigm is the same a decade later.

Then you get the whole tab candy UI in FF, it's really what the WM
should be doing, not the browser... but then there are arguments for
doing it in the browser - it can cheat and not really load the web page
- to work at the WM level there would have to be more complex protocols
between WM and app.

Anyway, this is heading distinctly off topic. Suffice to say I agree,
but still can't work that way :D

Col

--

Colin Guthrie