[Mageia-dev] RPM5 AND MAGEIA

Raphaël Jadot ashledombos at hodo.fr
Tue Mar 8 23:59:56 CET 2011

2011/3/8 Balcaen John <balcaen.john at gmail.com>:
> Le Tuesday 08 March 2011 18:11:11, Per Øyvind Karlsen a écrit :
> [...]
>> Tsktsk, my post probably ends up being labelled as flamebait, troll, too
>> long and boring, biased and what not..
> [...]
> This list is not write only...
> If you've got personnal problem with dmorgan just send him a personal email i
> don't care, but i guess that ennael wrote 3 hours before this last mail from
> you that mageia seems to have choose rpm.org so maybe we can really close this
> subject/thread for now instead of talking again & again about the fantastic
> rpm(5).org feature/upstream/it's a revolution/another apple commercial
> here/etc etc.
> It's just boring...

mm ?
I have not the feeling that it was the subject... i read again... ok
he seems to have a great +1 to rpm5, but i did not see that he wanted
insisted or moan in order we use rpm5...
The mails are hard to read, and long, and very technicals,  but what
catched my eyes is some things like
"level of compatibility" between Mageia & rpm5 is far greater than any
other (with
other rpm5 based distros being more compatible with Mageia than Mageia
is with non-rpm5 based distros as well"
So it doesn't mean we have to move to rpm5 for being compatible with
rpm5, so where is the problem ?

I just wonder, why having discussions about technical things like
adults is impossible ? are rpm.org and rpm5 religions ?

So if Per Oyvind offers help, unless there are hidden things i do not
understand, and if he can improve rpm.org or compatibility stuff or
whatever, why nobody says "ok, why not, tell us, maybe you could help,
maybe not" Did not find it (at least in this ML)

Seems it's not the first time, in this mail
https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/20110109/002024.html
he told  "(if interested, I could help assist you on writing something
equivalent for compatibility wrapping similar to what I did in the
past with rpm4compat.h & rpm46compat.h to make ie. URPM able to use
rpm 4.4 & 4.6 api with rpm5, let's say rpm5compat.h or something).

Whatever you end up doing, don't be afraid of asking or trying to
communicate on, the mutual benefits of collaboration are rather
obvious. <;o)
If not, sorry for imposing."

This mail had no answer, so what, is this guy a kind of antichrist of
rpm , talking with sugar words and trying to backstab you ?

And at least, If the question are asked over and over, why is there so
few things in archives about it ? Sure every one knows mageia will not
hurry to go to rpm5 tomorow, and so what ? If some are bored about
some related questions, why not opening a FAQ that explain it, or that
just point to the related archive/topic (which could be this one) ?

Sorry but I hate people bashing when i don't understand it. So if
there are personal anger, try to get over, or explain and communicate
better.

RJ