[Mageia-dev] Alpha 2 fresh install dvd i586

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 00:03:42 CET 2011

Op woensdag 16 maart 2011 23:30:59 schreef André Salaün:
> On a old computer (Athlon 64, printer epson c82, scanner epson 1650
> photo, usb wireless keyboard and mouse, ethernet network)
>
> Installation stage (choice kde) :
> All good but :
>
> -Boot loader : no choice, I had to volontary select "configure" in the
> last summary page . I hope final release will give the choice between
> MBR and partition.

i'm not sure this is a bug, i didn't ever needed a to choose partition.

can i ask why you would want to have the bootloader in a partition? i mean,
how are you going to boot into it, if it's not on MBR?

but if you feel it is a bug or missing feature, please file it on our bugzilla.

> -updating the source : ok
> -updating  packages :  no because of hald

is this a known thing? can you submit a bug if there isn't one already? or am
i misunderstanding your remark?

> suggestion : Do you want to copy DVD source on HD ? (something like
> that)
>
> First boot
> perfect.
>
> Updating :
> packages are updated but, after, auto-orphans propose to remove 192
> packages.

are these mdv build packages? perhaps some of these should be built on mageia,
perhaps you can find out which you wouldn't want to remove? (or did you
actually remove them?)

> Printer epson stylus C82
> is not installed. I use drakconf : errors :
>
> drakconf
> [root at localhost ~]# "/usr/sbin/mdkapplet-config" is not executable
> [Updates Configuration] at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 823.
> "/usr/sbin/mdkapplet-add-media-helper" is not executable [Extended
> Maintenance] at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 823.
> "/usr/bin/drakmenustyle" is not executable [Menus]
> at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 823.
> "/usr/sbin/drakbackup" is not executable [Backups]
> at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 823.
> "/usr/sbin/drakvirt" is not executable [Virtualization]
> at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 823.
> "/usr/sbin/tomoyo-gui" is not executable [Tomoyo Policy]
> at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 823.
> "/usr/sbin/drakguard" is not executable [Parental Controls]
> at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 823.
> task-printing-server-2010-2.mga1
> task-printing-hp-2010-2.mga1
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/asyncipp.py", line 197, in
> send_reply
>     handler (self._conn, result)
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/asyncconn.py", line 93, in
> reply_handler
>     self._reply_handler (self, self._reply_data, *args)
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/asyncconn.py", line 204, in
> _subst_reply_handler
>     reply_handler (self, *args)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cupshelpers/cupshelpers.py",
> line 602, in _reply_handler
>     self._client_reply_handler (connection, devices)
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/newprinter.py", line 1379, in
> <lambda>
>     current_uri))
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/newprinter.py", line 1409, in
> local_devices_reply
>     self.add_devices (result, current_uri)
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/newprinter.py", line 1808, in
> add_devices
>     physdev = model.get_value (iter, 1)
> TypeError: iter must be a GtkTreeIter

that's definately a bug, can you file it? if you did remove those orphaned
packages, perhaps it's related to this?

> So no printer.
>

> Scanner epson 1650 photo
> Like in Mandriva : I have to use manual choice, then it runs
>
> Traduction (in drakconf-> printer) is  incomplete.
>
> This is my first feeling.

thanks alot for the good test on hardware, this test was really needed.