[Mageia-dev] Alpha 2 fresh install dvd i586

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 01:35:22 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:03:42 -0400, Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:

> can i ask why you would want to have the bootloader in a partition? i mean,
> how are you going to boot into it, if it's not on MBR?

I use the gag boot manager in the mbr, and each linux install
has it's own boot loader in it's / partition.

The reason I do it this way, is that I tend to overwrite
existing installations, with each install.

If another install has a uuid reference to the overwritten
install, that other install have problems during boot,
when it can't find the overwritten uuid, even though none
of it's filesystems have been altered.

Using a single bootloader, with multiple linux installations,
with multiple kernels in each, just gets too messy.

Keeping each linux install separate is safer and easier to
maintain.

Regards, Dave Hodgins