[Mageia-dev] HALectomy on mageia ?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Mar 17 04:32:17 CET 2011

Quote: Ahmad Samir wrote on Thu, 17 March 2011 03:28

> On 17 March 2011 04:08, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
> >
> > You mean simply drop Gnome, Gimp, Gphoto, XFburn, Nut, etc. and
> > probably
> > not being able to build some other apps that aren't in the Mageia
> > repos
> > yet and might require HAL?
>
> First of all, where did mikala say anything about "dropping right
> now"?

Mikala? Why do you mention him?

> All the apps you picked (from the Fedora page?) can probably work
> without hal, (e.g. I don't have haldaemon running for about 4-5 months
> now, and gimp works OK).

I didn't pick anything, I simply listed the apps that appear as
dependencies in Balcaen John's first post of this thread and asked if he
meant dropping those.
See here if you missed the earlier emails:
http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2540

> The point is, other major distros have already gone through the
> halsectomy phase, which means we have very rich resources to draw on.

True, but again IMHO this is a major structural change, which AFAIK isn't
supposed to happen until after Mageia 1 has been released.

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/