[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:39:14 CET 2011

2011/3/24 Thorsten van Lil <tvl83 at gmx.de>:

> What about a DVD including non-free packages but has the option to not
> install them?
> I think the majority of the users don't care that much about proprietary
> issues, they just need them for using there wireless card or graphic card.
> Those how do care can just uncheck the non-free part of the DVD. :)

Well, this would be the "opt-out" version. If ever we include non-free
software in an ISO we should at least use an "opt-in" approach, like
the graphic configuration does. It asks "There is a non-free driver,
do you want it then say 'yes' ".

But I don't think it would be a good idea to include non-free contents
in the distribution ISOs at all. That this assumed majority does not
care about the issue does not mean we should not care either. We
should rather stress the point.

We already made such a difference by using different repositories, we
not continue this in our "product line"? We use a different repo for
non-free, we also should use a different ISO for non-free.

--
wobo