[Mageia-dev] Suggestion: what to do with iso?

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:24:08 CEST 2011

Op donderdag 28 april 2011 10:01:53 schreef Romain d'Alverny:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 08:52, Maarten Vanraes
> >
> > <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> So,
> >>
> >> I was talking to someone i know about Mageia, and she poked around the
> >> site, but then asked how to put the iso on an usbstick, since her
> >> netbook didn't have cdrom.
> >>
> >> I had to admit i didn't know exactly how, which brings me to my point:
> >>
> >> Perhaps it would be nice to have a link on the download page, on how to
> >> handle the iso for people who don't know how? (ie: burn it; or
> >> usb-stick-ify it)
> >>
> >> WDYT?
>
> It's always good to have this kind of documentation, that we can
> provide on the download page for after use.
>
> Related docs:
>  * http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Draklive#Building_a_live_CD_or_live_USB
>  *
> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installing_Mandriva_Linux#Installation_fr
> om_a_USB_stick * maybe others I didn't find
>
> about this, but no equivalent doc on our side for now (in Wiki or website).
>
> So someone to write an article about this is welcome.
>
> Note that Ubuntu does something quite nice as well about this (the
> "show me how" thing):
> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
>
> Romain

I would prefer to not link the download page to our temporary wiki, as it
doesn't look that good imho.

an extra translatable page on the website would sound good, i suppose:

rough format:
-----------------
What to do with this iso file?

first, choose the right one for you.
==> explanation about 32bit/64bit
==> mention about dualboot
==> mention about live iso and how you can install that if you want
==> mention about the other isos and briefly what they mean

option 1) burn it to CD/DVD with your favourite CD/DVD burner
==> examples with small screenshot from windows/macosx/linux
==> notice on size of iso and CD or DVD format, notion about RW also being ok
==> explanation of verifying md5sum

option 2) how to put an iso on a stick?
==> examples with small screenshot from windows/macosx/linux
==> explanation of verifying md5sum

option 3) virtualisation
==> briefly mention XEN/KVM/Vbox/VMWare
==> explanation of importance of verifying an md5sum

something like this...