[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-Dev]Default directory for wallpapers

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 18:08:01 CEST 2011

On 30 April 2011 00:32, Donald Stewart <watersnowrock at gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently, nearly all the artwork is stored in /usr/share/mga/* this
> is fine for everything apart from wallpapers as kde looks in
> /usr/share/wallpapers for its wallpapers.
>
> Either, all the wallpapers are moved from */mga/backgrounds to
> /usr/share/wallpapers, which would surely lead to issues with other
> desktops, kdm possibly gdm and others, kdebase4-workspace is patched
> to look in */mga/backgrounds which seems a little extreme, or symlinks
> are added between */mga/backgrounds --> /usr/share/wallpapers.
>
> What do people think?
>
> Donald "schultz" Stewart

First of all, no point reopening the discussion and abandoning the old
thread (which you posted to previously):
https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/20110119/002240.html

>From KDE's point of view, which is a bit warped, it probably won't
make any difference due to the specific dir layout KDE uses:
$ ls -R /usr/share/wallpapers/Horos/
/usr/share/wallpapers/Horos/:
contents/  metadata.desktop

/usr/share/wallpapers/Horos/contents:
images/  screenshot.png

/usr/share/wallpapers/Horos/contents/images:
1280x1024.png  1600x1200.png  1920x1080.png  1920x1200.png

So without finding a way to make this work for other DE's, symlinking
is moot.... IMHO.

You said:
"kdebase4-workspace is patched to look in */mga/backgrounds"

where is that patch? I grep'ed through all the -workspace package
patches and found nothing about this. Besides, why would KDE have look
in /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/ when it's just one file it can use,
/usr/share/mga/backgrounds/default.jpg which is a symlink to the best
resolution-fitting wallpaper depending on the user's monitor
resolution (XFdrake creates the symlink AFAIK); IIRC KDE plasma
default config in Mageia is set to use
/usr/share/mga/backgrounds/default.jpg as the default wallpaper.

--
Ahmad Samir