[Mageia-dev] plymouth gone nuts ?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 3 02:43:51 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and JA Magallón at 03/04/12 01:13 did gyre and gimble:
> On 04/03/2012 02:07 AM, JA Magallón wrote:
>> Hi...
>>
>> With latest updates, I noticed that GDM again started in tty2, and
>> tty1 is
>> still stuck on bootscreen/plymouth dots.
>> I get a message on tty1 about "wait-for-playmouth-quit failed, see
>> systemctl status...".
>> And GDM starts on tty2.
>> Something weird is happpening:
>>
>> cicely:~# systemctl --all --full | grep plym
>> systemd-ask-password-plymouth.path loaded active waiting Forward
>> Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch
>> plymouth-quit-wait.service loaded failed failed Wait for Plymouth Boot
>> Screen to Quit
>> plymouth-quit.service loaded inactive dead Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen
>> plymouth-read-write.service loaded inactive dead Tell Plymouth To
>> Write Out Runtime Data
>> plymouth-start.service loaded inactive dead Show Plymouth Boot Screen
>> systemd-ask-password-plymouth.service loaded inactive dead Forward
>> Password Requests to Plymouth
>>
>> cicely:~# ps -ef | grep plym
>> root 161 1 0 01:56 ? 00:00:00 /bin/plymouthd --attach-to-session
>> --pid-file /run/plymouth/pid
>> root 29109 8671 0 02:05 pts/1 00:00:00 grep --color plym
>>
>> Any idea ?
>>

> I have noticed this, plz correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> werewolf:/lib/systemd/system# grep After display-manager.service
> After=livesys-late.service systemd-user-sessions.service
> After=getty at tty1.service plymouth-quit.service
>
> werewolf:/lib/systemd/system# grep After plymouth-quit.service
> After=rc-local.service plymouth-start.service
>
> werewolf:/lib/systemd/system# grep After plymouth-quit-wait.service
> After=rc-local.service plymouth-start.service
>
> Should not all the chain be:
>
> display-manager.service -> after  plymouth-quit-wait.service
> plymouth-quit-wait.service -> after  plymouth-quit.service

No.

plymouth-quit-wait will simply hang until plymouth quits of it's own
accrord. If you actively quit plymouth first via plymouth-quit then
there is literally no point in running plymouth-quit-wait as it'll just
exit immediately.

Also u're forgetting about the Conflicts= directives...

display-manager.service:Conflicts=getty at tty1.service plymouth-quit.service

display-manager specifically conflicts with plymouth-quit.service (as it
internally quits plymouth or allows a smooth transition if appropriate).

So the ordering is correct as it stands.

Now the question is what is preventing plymouth from being quit? As I
said, display-manager should do it for you (see the /etc/X11/prefdm
script), or simply let GDM do it itself.

I'll see what I can dig up.