[Mageia-dev] Broken database problem solved but not all well

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon Apr 16 15:57:17 CEST 2012

On 16/04/12 14:27, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 16/04/12 13:28 did gyre and
> gimble:

>>> Thanks - that helped a lot.  I've now done the big update,
>>> choosing kernel-netbook (from memory) and rebooted.  All seemed
>>> to be going well until -
>>
>>> 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait.service' for details ]See
>>
>>> (screen message not garbled before that one) - and it has
>>> stopped. I thought someone said this was a known problem now
>>> fixed, so what do I do now?
>>
>> A restart got it past that point.  Now it hangs after
>>
>> Started LSB: Network monitoring daemon [OK]
>

> I strongly suspect it's not hanging. It's likely just stopped
> doing things. Flip over to tty2 and you should have a text login.
>
>> From there, can you get the output of "systemctl status
>> prefdm.service"
> I suspect it has not even tried to start yet.

Loaded, active (running) and set to kdm -nodaemon

> Do a "systemctl start prefdm.service" and you should have your
> normal logins.

'Fraid not.  Reboot requires you to run the command again, so all you
have is the text login.  Then startx gives

"Could not start D-Bus.  Can you call qdbus?"

A forum thread suggested reinstalling xorg, so I did that - it called
up 10 packages, restarted urpmi then said it needed a further 471
packages.  That's running at the moment.

> I suspect strongly this is simply the legacy non-LSB initscripts
> issue I mentioned last week that is preventing the prefdm.service
> job from being executed on boot.
>
>> Also, there is the message
>>
>> Failed to start LSB: Update the Intel / AMD CPU microcode
>> [FAILED]
>
> That's likely because you do not have the microcode itself
> installed. It's from a package in tainted so would not be installed
> by default.

Sounds as though that's something I can ignore for now, then.

Anne
- --
Need KDE help? Try
http://userbase.kde.org or