[Mageia-dev] Broken database problem solved but not all well

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 16 17:58:10 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 16/04/12 14:57 did gyre and gimble:
> On 16/04/12 14:27, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 16/04/12 13:28 did gyre and
>> gimble:

>>> A restart got it past that point.  Now it hangs after
>>>
>>> Started LSB: Network monitoring daemon [OK]
>

>> I strongly suspect it's not hanging. It's likely just stopped
>> doing things. Flip over to tty2 and you should have a text login.
>
>>> From there, can you get the output of "systemctl status
>>> prefdm.service"
>> I suspect it has not even tried to start yet.
>
> Loaded, active (running) and set to kdm -nodaemon

OK, so I'm wrong :D

>> Do a "systemctl start prefdm.service" and you should have your
>> normal logins.
>
> 'Fraid not.  Reboot requires you to run the command again, so all you
> have is the text login.  Then startx gives
>
> "Could not start D-Bus.  Can you call qdbus?"
>
> A forum thread suggested reinstalling xorg, so I did that - it called
> up 10 packages, restarted urpmi then said it needed a further 471
> packages.  That's running at the moment.

Hmm, that seems like something of a red herring.

>> I suspect strongly this is simply the legacy non-LSB initscripts
>> issue I mentioned last week that is preventing the prefdm.service
>> job from being executed on boot.

OK, so this is incorrect, (prefdm *is* started, but perhaps some other
jobs had to be cancelled instead.

Can you do this:

1. Add the following the to kernel command line when booting normally:
"systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg"

2. When you boot and it gets stuck, simply go to tty2 copy
/var/log/dmesg to some file and then somehow give it to me :)

Thanks.