[Mageia-dev] Mounting nfs4 shares

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Apr 20 21:10:29 CEST 2012

On 19/04/12 19:35, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> 19.04.2012 21:16, Anne Wilson kirjoitti:
>> I have been using lines such as this to mount nfs shares:
>>
>> 192.168.0.40:/Data1 /mnt/borg2_Data1 nfs4
>> rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>>

>> mount -a Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already
>> exclusively opened. The volume may be already mounted, or another
>> software may use it which could be identified for example by the
>> help of the 'fuser' command. mount.nfs4: an incorrect mount
>> option was specified
>>
>> Do I need to change these mount lines in some way?
>
> Possibly, but the documentation is wrong then.
>
> The nfs man page says that the line is ok, although "intr" and
> "nfs4" are deprecated (but should still be working).
>
> You can still try replacing "nfs4" with "nfs" (v4 is still tried
> first according to the man page), and removing "intr" (according to
> man page it has been ignored for years).

I'll try that in the morning - been out all day today.

> On a related note, why do you use rsize=8192,wsize=8192? If for
> performance reasons, AFAIK and IIRC specifying them was useful only
> 5-10 years ago or so, but now they actually could degrade
> performance as the default nowadays is "use as large values as
> possible", which is (currently) 1048576. So probably makes sense to
> remove them too.

OK, I'll try that too.  As for the reason, I updated CentOS 5 on the
server to CentOS 6, and about the same time updated my Fedora
installations.  This is some time back, so my memory is a little hazy
- - I think the change that broke the mounts was at the server end, but
I'm not sure about that.  Anyway, I did lots of googling to find help,
and eventually got them to work in this way.  Of course the pages I
read could have been way out of date - sadly few pages have a date on
them, so it's hard to know how old and how relevant they are.

(My experience on the subject of non-dated pages are why I persuaded
the KDE sysadmins to have updated information in page footers on
UserBase.  At least you can see if a page gets out of date.)

Anne
- --
Need KDE help? Try
http://userbase.kde.org or