[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-obsolete-3-21.mga3

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:26:48 CEST 2012

Le 01/08/2012 09:31, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> Le 01/08/2012 08:46, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
>> On 1 August 2012 05:29, fwang <buildsystem-daemon at mageia.org> wrote:
>>> fwang <fwang> 3-21.mga3:
>>> + Revision: 277136
>>> - obsolete db5.2 in favour of db5.3
>>
>> # urpmi --auto-select --keep -vv --debug
>> (...)
>> installed libreoffice-core-3.6.0.1-1.mga3.x86_64 is conflicting
>> because of unsatisfied libdb-5.2.so()(64bit)
>> unselecting task-obsolete-3-21.mga3.noarch
>> A requested package cannot be installed:
>> task-obsolete-3-21.mga3.noarch (in order to keep
>> libreoffice-core-3.6.0.1-1.mga3.x86_64)
>> Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)
> Whoever had the brilliant idea of forcing package uninstallation just
> because "they are not supported anymore" deserve a good spanking...
> Especially when applied to libraries, whereas shipping them in specific
> versioned subpackage 'libfication' was meant precisely to avoid this issue.

Morevoer, it's quite ridiculous to focus on removing obsoleted package
from end users machines, without first cleaning our own infrastructure:
db5.2 is still present in the subversion repository, for instance...

So, removing a package from the distribution should imply:
1) removing it from the subversion repository
2) removing it from the master package tree (adding obsoletes tag in any
package just for this is overkill)
3) eventually removing it from end user machines, provided this last
step bring some added value (which is still unproven)

--
BOFH excuse #47:

Complete Transient Lockout