[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-obsolete-3-21.mga3

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Aug 1 16:29:53 CEST 2012

* Thierry Vignaud (thierry.vignaud at gmail.com) wrote:
> On 1 August 2012 15:43, Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Within mageia, libreoffice packages are supposed to replace old
> >> openoffice packages, so obsoletes are needed.
> >
> > Unless they are effective file conflict, and libreoffice can't be installed
> > simultaneously, I see no actual reason to force its removal.
>
> They do conflicts.
> We do not maintain it anymore.
> We do no want to have bugs reports about package Y on mgaX about
> packages "that were obviously build by mga" (yes but for mgaX-10).

Yes but:
- it's up to packagers to point the package is not supported anymore (as
  it is not on mirrors)
- the obsolete should be in the package that replace the previous one
  (the word 'replace' is important)
- it is really a bad practice to choose for users what is good or not.

Moreover there is a really bad effect: updating a system can cause to a
package to removed because task-obsolete is installed.

I am in favor to drop this package.

Regards.

--

Olivier Thauvin