[Mageia-dev] How to Test the new uClibc?

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 09:10:06 CEST 2012

On 9 August 2012 08:31, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

>> > Not that much.
>> > If busybox tools still work, just go on...
>>
>> Ping! It's time to make cauldron hot!
>
> I don't know if you attended that IRC conversation, so let me quote it (I am rindolf):

I didn't.

(...)

> So I'm back at square 1, and don't know how to further proceed. If someone more capable than me can take
> it upon themselves, then it would be great.

I think's Neoclust worries for nothing.

There not that much packages using uclibc:

busybox-1.20.2-1.mga3.src
CCfits-2.4-1.mga3.src
liblzo-2.06-1.mga2.src
libx86-1.1-11.mga2.src
lvm2-2.02.95-5.mga3.src
newt-0.52.14-2.mga3.src
pciutils-3.1.10-1.mga3.src
slang-2.2.4-4.mga3.src
sysfsutils-2.1.0-14.1.mga3.src
util-linux-2.21.2-3.mga3.src
wmbattery-2.40-1.mga2.src
wmfire-1.2.4-1.mga2.src
zlib-1.2.7-4.mga3.src

Note that of those are unused
(busybox/pciutils/newt/slang/sysfsutils/zlib) unlike
mdv who choose to bloat installer by compiling with uclibc instead of dietlibc

What's more, the remaining ones (util-linux, lvm2 (maybe busybox?)) were
used with old mkinitrd but I think dracut now use glibc linked ones.
Colin, can you confirm?

So I don't think it's that much critical.
At worst, we can check that regenerating initrd on a LVM machine still
boots.