[Mageia-dev] How to Test the new uClibc?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 9 10:39:05 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 09/08/12 08:10 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Ping! It's time to make cauldron hot!
>>
>> I don't know if you attended that IRC conversation, so let me quote it (I am rindolf):
>
> I didn't.
>
> (...)
>
>> So I'm back at square 1, and don't know how to further proceed. If someone more capable than me can take
>> it upon themselves, then it would be great.
>
> I think's Neoclust worries for nothing.
>
> There not that much packages using uclibc:
>
> busybox-1.20.2-1.mga3.src
> CCfits-2.4-1.mga3.src
> liblzo-2.06-1.mga2.src
> libx86-1.1-11.mga2.src
> lvm2-2.02.95-5.mga3.src
> newt-0.52.14-2.mga3.src
> pciutils-3.1.10-1.mga3.src
> slang-2.2.4-4.mga3.src
> sysfsutils-2.1.0-14.1.mga3.src
> util-linux-2.21.2-3.mga3.src
> wmbattery-2.40-1.mga2.src
> wmfire-1.2.4-1.mga2.src
> zlib-1.2.7-4.mga3.src
>
> Note that of those are unused
> (busybox/pciutils/newt/slang/sysfsutils/zlib) unlike
> mdv who choose to bloat installer by compiling with uclibc instead of dietlibc
>
> What's more, the remaining ones (util-linux, lvm2 (maybe busybox?)) were
> used with old mkinitrd but I think dracut now use glibc linked ones.
> Colin, can you confirm?

Dracut just uses what is on the system, so yeah it'll use glibc unless
some module pulls it in. There is a busybox module in dracut to allow it
to be installed but it's not enabled by default AFAICT.

> So I don't think it's that much critical.
> At worst, we can check that regenerating initrd on a LVM machine still
> boots.

My machine is an LVM one, so I can likely test this, but as my current
initrd does not have ulibc in it, I doubt very much this test will show
anything other than success :)

Cheers